Saturday, August 24, 2013

On a Mission: Meal Planning Day 3

Today we had friends over to visit lil Ben. I knew I wanted to cook dinner when they left because, frankly, I wouldn't feel like leaving the house! My RU girlie, Elaine, brought me a few beautiful heirloom tomatoes from her garden. So, I decided to make my Italian style bangers and beans!

In this pic I used grape tomatoes, but you can use whatever tomatoes you have on hand - I had gorgeous green zebra tomatoes!

Italian Bangers and Beans
4-5 sweet or hot chicken sausages
1 pint grape tomatoes or 3-4 diced tomatoes, pulp included
1 zucchini, diced (you can also use summer squash, eggplant or a mix of all three)
1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup fresh basil, torn into pieces 
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes 

Sauté chicken sausages in a pan with 1 tbsp oil until browned, but not cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside. Add zucchini to pan and cook until slightly soft. Add tomatoes, red pepper, and garlic, sauté until fragrant. Add water and beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until sausage is cooked through, ~20 minutes. Add fresh basil before serving with crusty bread and a salad. 

To make freezer friendly:
Follow recipe above (leave sausage whole or sliced into thick rounds). Once cooked, place sausages at the bottom of a freezer safe plastic container. Top with the bean and veggie sauce and secure with lid. 
To reheat
Defrost in the refrigerator overnight. Microwave contents until hot and bubbly, 165 degrees. 

Stay tuned for my next meal planning on a mission recipe

Meg Loc :)


No comments:

Post a Comment