Friday, August 9, 2013

It's FOOTBALL SEASON!

game-day-chili


I am so excited to type up this post while I'm watching some FOOTBALL!  I love football season... it means great weather, pumpkin spice lattes, food, friends and smack talk.  I'll admit, I used to be the "football widow" (and by widow, I mean girlfriend, because my husband and I are high school sweethearts so really we're talking like 17) and not see my man on Sundays...or Monday nights...or even have his full attention during football season.  I used to hate it!  Then, I realized...maybe it's not so bad.  I started to go with him to watch the games (specifically the Eagles--yup Philly phans in the house) and there was food and food and some more food to be enjoyed during the games.  I even started to understand and ahem, enjoy, the games. Now not only was my husband into watching football, he was into playing fantasy football.  And I don't mean he just had one team...no, no.  He would have several different teams in a season!  Well, fast forward a few years and we started a league for our friends and family and I finally got my own team!  And guess what? I'm GOOD! That's right, I won the championship my second year playing! Oh, how my husband has still never heard the end of my victory! (Although I will give him some credit, because he won the following year.) Well, football season is here and I'm so excited because really that means my house will constantly be full of our friends and good food...and smack talk.

So here is the first of many "Sunday Funday" blog posts!  I'll try to keep as many of the recipes as freezer friendly as I can.  But I am so excited to share some of my game day favorites that some might not be ready to go right from your freezer!  Today happens to be the first Eagles preseason game (against the Pats) and it's also my brother in law's 24th birthday (Happy birthday, Tony!) and he requested chili for his birthday dinner.  I never make chili the exact same way twice, but I made sure to pay attention to my ingredients and measurements today so I could share it with you.  But when it comes to chili, go with what feels right! I did add chipotle in adobo today which was new for me and I loved the results!


Game Day Chili
{serves 6}
3 lbs ground beef
2 28oz cans diced tomatoes, drained
3 bell peppers, chopped (any colors)
2 medium to large onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno, chopped (can omit if you'd like to lower the heat level)
1 small can, chiptole in adobo
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 6oz can tomato sauce
3 tbsp chili powder (more to taste)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper

Directions:
game-day-chili

1. Heat large dutch oven and add beef.  Break apart as meat browns.
2. As meat browns, roughly chop bell peppers, onions, jalapeno and garlic.
game-day-chiligame-day-chili
3. Remove meat from dutch oven, draining off fat.  Add chopped veggies to hot dutch oven and saute until soft, about 5-6 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper.
game-day-chili

4. Sprinkle seasonings over meat mixture and stir.
game-day-chili

5. Add tomatoes, chipotle in adobo, tomato paste and tomato sauce to peppers and onions and stir to combine.  Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
game-day-chili

6. Add meat and seasoning mixture back into dutch oven.  Stir to combine all ingredients.  Allow to cook together for 5-10 minutes.  Once meat is completely cooked through, taste and adjust seasoning to your taste.
7. Allow to simmer for as long as possible...chili only gets better as it sits!

Serve in deep bowls with shredded cheese, diced onion, and sour cream on top.

Extra notes:
*The chipotle in adobo adds a lot of spice, so if you're someone who doesn't like a lot of heat, I'd just add some of the sauce from the can and leave the jalapeno out.*
*If your chili needs more liquid, I add beer or beef stock*
*Want to stretch this further? Cook 1/2 lb small pasta (small penne works great) and add cooked pasta to chili mixture and stir to combine!*

To make FREEZER FRIENDLY:
Cook as directed, allow to cool completely and ladle chili into Tupperware containers and freeze!  To eat microwave or heat on stove.

Go Team!
freezer-meals


No comments:

Post a Comment