Sunday, August 25, 2013

On a Mission: Meal Planning Day 2

Yesterday was a laid back kind of day.  My hubby and I had a birthday party at 7:30 so I knew I wanted to eat before we left.  If I don't feed my husband he has a tendency to get "hangry".  Unsure if there were going to be snacks at the party, I wanted to make something filling, but quick and easy.  Hearty Black Bean Soup was my plan!!

The star of this soup are the Kuner's canned beans.  They come seasoned with chili powder and cumin.  They make a great side dish on taco night too.  My secret (maybe its not that secret) is to puree 1 can of beans with a little bit of chicken broth and keep the other whole.  It makes the soup creamy and thick! This trick works in other soups like Tuscan White Bean soup and any chili recipe!



Hearty Black Bean Soup
2 cans Kuner's black beans with chili and cumin (or substitute canned black beans with the added spices)
2 cups cooked brown rice (I used a mixture of brown rice and quinoa)
1 small onion, chopped
1 can Rotel
1 cup plus 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
the zest of 1 lime
Optional:
Fat free plain Greek yogurt
low fat shredded cheddar or Monteray Jack cheese

Combine 1 can black beans and 1/4 cup chicken broth in a blender and pulse until smooth and creamy, set aside.  In a medium size saucepan saute onion until soft.  Add the can of Rotel and let cook until the tomatoes start to bubble.  Add lime zest, pureed black beans, remaining broth, can of beans, and rice.  Bring everything to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.  Serve with a dollop of fat free Greek yogurt and shredded cheese!

To Make Freezer Friendly:
Follow recipe above and fill freezer safe bags with soup.  Lay flat in freezer for better storage (I lay them in a casserole dish in case there are any leaks).
To Reheat:
Defrost overnight in the refrigerator.  Microwave a bowl until bubbling and heated through, 165F or bring to a boil on the stove top. 


Enjoy!!

Stay tuned for my next meal planning on a mission recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment