Monday, August 26, 2013

Sunday Funday: Draft Day Pulled Pork

Sunday Funday: Draft Day Pulled Pork

You.  Guys. 
Or should I say “yous guys” ‘cause I’m from Jersey?
Either way:  go out to the store and get a pork shoulder (also known as pork butt) right now.  GO!  This is a must make.  And, it was so super easy to boot.   I had to cook for a crowd this weekend (and when I say crowd…we’re talking 15+ loud, hungry, smack-talking fantasy football owners).  We had our fantasy football draft this Saturday and it was so much fun!!  We take football and football food pretty seriously around here, so I knew just throwing out some dips and chips wasn't going to cut the mustard.  I love pork.  I love pulled pork.  AND Beth and her husband Jeff make the most yummy homemade BBQ sauce. I love to smother my pork in it.  So I knew I wanted pork on the menu.  I don’t know about your stores, but pork shoulder is usually always on sale or a good price in my supermarket.  It was only 99 cents a lb this week! Which was nice, because I got about 16 lbs of pork! I got the idea to brine my pork from Kevinandamanda.com.  I don’t know why I've never thought of that before…I've brined chicken and turkey…I guess those wires just never crossed in my head.  Well, I did it and I totally suggest it! I used my own blend of herbs and spices for a dry rub then roasted the shoulders over night in the oven.  My word-did the house smell divine.  The best part about roasting over night is timing.  I was not rushing around at all before the draft and was able to clean up and keep the pork warmed in the oven until everyone arrived.   The best part was that it went! It went fast! I only had a few measly bites left over.  AND my friend Carla had made about 5 lbs of baked ziti which was all gone too.  And of course, we did have chips, dips and desserts. 



Draft Day Pulled Pork

8lb pork shoulder bone in and skin on (aka pork butt)
Garlic cloves

Brine:
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 qts cold water
3 tbsp dry rub mix
2 bay leaves
Add salt to cold water and stir very well until all the salt is completely dissolved. Then add the brown sugar and dry rub and stir well to combine.
Place pork shoulder in a large pot or bag and pour the brine on top. Make sure that your shoulder is completely covered in the brine. Add bay leaves.  Allow to sit for at least 8 hours.
Recipe from: www.kevinandamanda.com



Dry Rub:
2 TBSP kosher salt
2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP brown sugar
3 TBSP ground cumin
2 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP black pepper
1 TBSP cayenne pepper
3 TBSP paprika
1 packet of Goya sazon seasoning

Combine ingredients and stir well. Set aside.



Instructions:
1.       Make dry rub and set aside.
2.       Make brine as directed and allow pork shoulder to sit in brine for at least 8 hours.
3.       Remove pork shoulder from brine and pat dry with paper towels.
4.       Place pork in a (disposable) roasting pan skin side up and rub liberally with dry rub (reserving some for later).  Really get to know your pork and get that dry rub in every nook and cranny.
5.       With a small sharp knife, cut slits and insert peeled whole garlic cloves (about 5-8 total) all over the top of the pork shoulder.
6.       Place the roast in a preheated oven (225F—slow and low, right?!) and allow to cook until an internal temp around, but not above, 200F is reached.  This will probably take anywhere from 10-12 hours, depending on the size of your roast.  Remember, this recipe is for a 7-8lb pork shoulder. 
7.       Allow to cool and come down to temp (170) and remove skin and any excess fat.  Pull meat off the bone (should practically fall off on its own!) and shred with two forks. 
8.       Sprinkle 1-2 TBSP of the dry rub on the pork until it tastes just right to you!
9.       PIG OUT (hahahah I have to laugh at my own jokes)

I served this pork on rolls with two choices of BBQ sauce for my guests. It didn’t last long! I hope you enjoy!



Go team!

No comments:

Post a Comment