Saturday, November 2, 2013

Chili Cook Off Part 1: Chili Verde

I am so excited to share this recipe with you! It is one of my all time favorites--so different, yet so yummy.  If all chili were as delicious as this, I'd be a chili freak like my husband.

This recipe calls for pork, which I LOVE! I always get whatever is on manager's special or on sale at the market that week...this time I happened to get bone-on thin chops.  I don't even bother to take the meat off the bone--I just let it cook low and slow and the meat will just fall off! Remove the bones before serving! What I think was even better about the recipe this time was that I made it in the crock pot! I have adapted the original recipe slightly and I know it's one that I will continue to make for years! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

chili-verde-crock-pot


Chili Verde
{serves 6-8}
2 lbs pork
1 cup onion, chopped
16 oz chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp celery salt
1 TBSP cornstarch
1/2 tsp oregano
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP jalapeno
4 TBSP chopped cilantro
1/2 TBSP chili powder
10 oz green enchilada sauce
21 oz canned green chiles (chopped or diced)
1 16 oz jar of salsa Verde
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Brown pork in large pot; remove from pot.  Add onion, saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add chicken broth and simmer for 1 hour (stir so meat does not stick to bottom).
3. Add spices and cornstarch; simmer for additional hour (keep stirring).
4. Add enchilada sauce, chiles and salsa.  Simmer for 45 minutes.
5. Remove pork bones and serve hot! ENJOY!

Crock Pot Instructions:
1. Line Crock Pot with liner.
2. Brown pork in pan and add to crock pot.
3. Saute onions for 3-5 minutes and add to crock pot.
4. Add chicken broth and cover; cook on low for 3 hours.
5. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 2 more hours on low heat.
6. Remove bones and enjoy!

(original recipe: Favorite Family Recipes 2012)

TO FREEZE:
1. Make chili verde according to directions above.
2. Allow to cool completely, divide into gallon freezer bags.
3. Label and freeze.

TO EAT:
1. Thaw completely.
2. Reheat over low heat in a sauce pan on stove, stirring often.
3. ENJOY!


Stay full!



No comments:

Post a Comment